Search for content in message boards

What do you call a person who is both your 2nd and 3rd cousin?

Replies: 1

What do you call a person who is both your 2nd and 3rd cousin?

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this looked as good of a place as any...

I have a cousin that I am related to through two different sides of the family. Her paternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother were siblings, making our dads 1st cousins and us 2nd cousins.

Her paternal grandmother and my paternal grandfather were 1st cousins. That makes our dads 2nd cousins thru this line and us 3rd cousins.

So...do I simply refer to us as 2nd cousins since that is the closer relation of the two? When I first began researching our family history five years ago, I thought it was cool that we were 2nd and 3rd cousins. But some people can be very rude and immediately assume that implies inbreeding, which it definitey doesn't. Even when I explain the lineeage, they rarely seem to understand it...

My dad's family has lived in here in Cherokee County, Georgia for 200 years. I'm sure there was a lot of situations similar to mine where a brother and sister married first cousins or even married another sister and brother from another family. I have two great-great-aunts that married brothers. But at no point did anyone marry within the same bloodline....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JMReece30183 5 Aug 2012 3:55AM GMT 
senior333 30 Sep 2014 3:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic