Search for content in message boards

Marriage Patterns

Replies: 3

Re: Marriage Patterns

Posted: 12 Mar 2014 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have evidence that this occurred. However, the evidence is only from a journal kept by a descendant of Michael Horne, who was our common ancestor. The writer was descended from Michael's daughter, Martha, and I am descended from his son, James. The journal was written about 70 years after the death of my ancestor, James. I am trying to find additional evidence that Michael was the father of James.

Currently the journal is the only evidence. James should have been in the household of Michael Horne in the 1850 census, however, there is no listing for James, but there is one for daughter named Jane who is the same age as James. I believe that this is was an error made by the census taker, but I cannot find proof to verify that. There are no tax lists prior to 1860, so I cannot use them to show Michael had an older son. Michael cannot be found in the 1840 census which could also provide that information.

The evidence in the journal states that Martha had a brother named James. Martha married James Thomas Smyrl and James married Mary Ann Smyrl. I have found the marriage records for both, but the marriage record for James and Mary does not list parents. I have not found any records for James that list his parents.

Basically, I am wondering if the pattern of sibling marriages could be considered as indirect evidence.

Thanks.
Sandra
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SFarmer9302 11 Mar 2014 2:24PM GMT 
RobinBMc 12 Mar 2014 6:36PM GMT 
ABiyT13 12 Mar 2014 7:25PM GMT 
SFarmer9302 12 Mar 2014 8:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic