Replies: 11

Re: Genealogy.Com versus Ancestry.Com

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 3:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
For starters, ancestry.com is the most expensive! lol

http://genealogy-search-review.toptenreviews.com/
Result of google search: comparison of ancestry.com and genealogy.com
http://genealogy.about.com/cs/census/a/subscriptions.htm

There is an article at same (1st) website that says "Ancestry.com is part of the MyFamily.com, Inc. Network that alsoincludes Genealogy.com, Ancestry.co.uk, FamilyHistory.com, Genealogy.org, RootsWeb.com and MyFamily.com, also featured on this review site."

Personally, I'm frustrated with all the sites. I've found more on ancestry.com, but I don't understand the rankings (relevance) in their returns; I can enter a specfic name "John A. Doe" and get pages and pages of obscure, not relevant listings, and a relevant one on say, the 20th page. (Often if you check 'exact' response is NO returns.) Which is precisely why I've avoided subscribing: wasting my time is one thing, paying in addition to - more than I can swallow.
As far as genealogy.com I've rarely found info there. Quality of info returned is horrible. I just viewed data there tonight - did another search (same name) and it said 'no info.' Go figure!
YourFolks.com, which I wasn't familiar with, is yet another pay site (some 'free' I guess.) YOu can't search wtihout being registered, which I did, and result was NO info on the names I entered. THey seem to be (at least at this point) primarily a Canadian resource.
You said you've been researching for years - what do you think the best genealogy research website is? Where have you had the most success?
I wish these sites would change their 'subscription' policies. In addition to reluctance to pay based on quality, it bugs me to subscribe to anything that has an 'automatic renewal' policy, e.g. you have to notify them so far in advance if you don't want to renew. Offering a shorter period (e.g. from say 1-7 days, on a time time payment) would be ideal for me. What do you think?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
billlinda155 17 Dec 2009 11:29AM GMT 
alaskanprince... 12 Jan 2010 10:38AM GMT 
DavidWilliams... 8 Mar 2010 6:06PM GMT 
alaskanprince... 10 Mar 2010 5:29AM GMT 
gloriam71401 11 Mar 2010 3:02AM GMT 
gloriam71401 11 Mar 2010 3:11AM GMT 
howdypez 1 Sep 2010 4:04PM GMT 
rlcadtn 24 Mar 2011 4:51PM GMT 
ireland8548 17 May 2011 11:58PM GMT 
rlcadtn 18 May 2011 11:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions