Search for content in message boards

Possible scam using ancestry personal message service

Replies: 1

Possible scam using ancestry personal message service

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Sep 2012 3:04PM GMT
There may be one or more people doing this but I have been offered photos. The person offering the photo claims to have a photo of your family. They do not ask for any money at first but eventually want you to make them an offer for the item. I may have received two such requests. I know the second offer is entirely fake because no such family exists. They offered me a photo of a family with the surname of a family I have researched. They failed to notice that I had made a name correction. It is highly unlikely that the photo had the same error as the ancestry indexing. I may be wrong about this so I don't want to accuse anyone here but it is certainly suspicious. I am trying to determine if they are using photos copied from ancestry. They do use ancestry to make initial contact. Should I call on Monday or use another option?

By the way I am not out any money. I am a bit concerned about the fact that I gave them an email address. I rarely do that but did I make a big mistake? I'm changing the password just in case. Any other steps that I should take?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scwbcm 23 Sep 2012 8:38PM GMT 
cyndi308 24 Sep 2012 4:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions