Search for content in message boards

Organization systems

Replies: 1

Organization systems

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 11:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching my family, my husband's family, and my stepdad's family, so I am amassing quite a lot of material. I have my documents organized in binders by family name, with dividers for each type of document (census report; city directories; birth, death and marriage records; etc.). I have a sheet in the front of each section that lists what is there and what names appear on the documents. It seems that organizing looseleaf books by a person's first name would be a better way to go; documents that list more than one name could be placed in separate sections by type of document and would not have to be duplicated and placed under each person's name. A reference page under each person could list where these other documents may be found.

Several questions:
-Does anyone see a problem with this type of organization?
-Should documents be assigned reference numbers?
-What do you do when a woman marries and assumes a new name? do you file her under her family's name until she is married and then under her husband's name after she is married?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sharonsfamily... 1 Feb 2013 6:06PM GMT 
mi2early 5 Feb 2013 3:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions