Search for content in message boards

Visiting a local historical society?

Replies: 8

Visiting a local historical society?

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 6:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2013 8:48AM GMT
I have plans to visit a local historical society next week. I have hit a brick wall in trying to find my great grandmother who apparently disappeared into thin air. I was hoping that by going to the town that she lived half of her life in, I might be able to find out a little bit more about her, since I have no marriage record for her and her husband, no immigration records from Canada to the US, and no death record since she apparently voluntarily left her family when she was about 38 years old. I've searched all over the internet over the last few years, have joined worldwide ancestry and other groups and looked all over without being able to find out anything at all, except the slim possibility that she may have started a new life with someone else, and changed her name.
My hopes are that I may find something, anything really that would tell me what could have possibly happened to her.
I've been told by various people though that everything I could want to see about her would all be online now. That a historical sociey will not have anything new that I have not seen before. I tend to think this is not true, but just I would ask here, and get some more opinions. Given the advances made in genealogical research in the last few years, would it be a waste of time to drive hours away to see if there is anything there?
I don't mind doing this at all, I love anything to do with history or family research, and know I will still enjoy my day, but just wonder if maybe I should just plan on looking at other family records, and forget trying to find anything new about my great grandmother.
Thanks for any insight about this!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brenda Becker 22 Mar 2013 12:28AM GMT 
eGENEee 22 Mar 2013 2:50AM GMT 
Brenda Becker 24 Mar 2013 8:28PM GMT 
eGENEee 22 Mar 2013 3:04AM GMT 
eGENEee 22 Mar 2013 3:43AM GMT 
Brenda Becker 24 Mar 2013 8:30PM GMT 
ltguidetti 24 Mar 2013 3:14PM GMT 
Brenda Becker 24 Mar 2013 8:37PM GMT 
ltguidetti 24 Mar 2013 3:16PM GMT 
per page