Search for content in message boards

Can anyone help with Lease & Release deed?

Replies: 0

Can anyone help with Lease & Release deed?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KEYES
Can anyone help with the interpretation of relationships in a Lease & Release deed?

I have a 1791 Lease & Release deed in which grantor Phebe Keyes gives the use of land to grantee John Keyes for one full year for sum of 5 shillings, after which rent of 1 peppercorn is to be collected on Lady Day [New Year = Mar 25]. As I understand, at the end of the one year, use will transfer into possession [to John Keyes] and release of the reversion [back to Phebe Keyes] and inheritance will ensue.

What does the term "inheritance" imply here - does it imply some relationship?? Is this a way for Phebe Keyes to give land to John Keyes [to avoid tax] as a relative, in particular as her son??

I do not know what their relationship is so if this implies family, it would be great!
Thanks,
Kim Curlin Wettroth

Deed
".....To have and to hold the lands hereby conveyed and all and Singular the Premises hereby granted with the appurtenances unto the said John Keyes his heirs Executors Administrators and Assigns from the day before the date of these presence for and during the full term and time of one [1] whole year from thence next ensuing fully to be compleat and inded yealing and paying therefor the rent of one [1] peper Corn in Lady next if the Same be lawfully demanded to the interest & purpose that by virtue of these presents and of the Statute for transfering of uses into possession the said John Keyes may be in Actual possession of the premises and be thereby enabled to accept and take a grant and release of the reversion and inheritance thereof to him and his heirs and assigns for ever..."

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions