Search for content in message boards

Rose Miller in Toronto

Replies: 4

Re: Rose Hannity in Toronto in 1861 aged 20 with James 18 and Mary 35

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks Paul for the valuable leads. I have attempted to trace my family genealogy for the past few years. Although I have good information about the family over here in the US, I have very limited knowledge about them back in County Down. My mother, Margaret McCamley, was born in Nov 1910 and came to Canada where she worked in a Toronto Hospital. The whole family back in Rostrevor had no money but plenty of relatives. She lived with her cousin Rose Hannity Miller until she crossed into New York on a tourist visa and never went back. She married my father James Foley in 1940 and became a US citizen. I have found the McCamleys in the 1901 and 1911 censuses in Rostrevor but facts are pretty sketchy otherwise. My maternal grandfather was Paddy McCamley. He was born in July 1869 and died in New York in September 1944. I found a birth record for him from County Down that lists his name as Patrick McCamlagh. I assume this is a Gaelic variant of McCamley but have never found another example in my researches. He was a carter by trade and there is a family tradition that he was instrumental in installing the Rostrevor street lights. I believe he had three siblings: Francis, Margaret and John. As you said, his father was Charles McCamley (born Aug 1837) and the mother Mary Berry. Beyond that my info is conjectural. I matched Charles up with a Hugh McCamley married to a Mary Small but it is guesswork. My maternal grandmother was Margaret Polin or Poland Aug 1872 to Mar 1942). You also correctly listed her father as Bernard Polin (born Sep 1836) and her mother Catherine Woods. (born Mar1839). They were married 1 Dec 1864 in Kilbroney Parish. I have tentatively listed a Joseph Polin married to a Margaret McCourt as Bernard’s parents. They were married 12 Jun 1835 in Clonallon Parish. Likewise I linked Catherine Woods to a Patrick Woods married in 1834 to a Mary Rooney, but I’m not sure. I know next to nothing beyond these bare facts. Any guidance you could provide in expanding/correcting this information would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jim
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
incadink 5 Jul 2011 3:45AM GMT 
gribbens 17 Jun 2012 10:52AM GMT 
incadink 17 Jun 2012 6:28PM GMT 
gribbens 18 Jun 2012 4:03PM GMT 
incadink 18 Jun 2012 9:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions