Search for content in message boards

I have name and dates but cannot locate

Replies: 5

I have name and dates but cannot locate

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 4:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gawel
Any help is appreciated, I have had good results for 1 side of my family, but I've started a new journey to my maternal side and it's as is my grandmother did not exist.

Her name is Irene Aurelia Gawel, she was born 10/24/1917 location is unknown but presumed the Buffalo NY area. She died 2/10/1968 in Clarence NY. That is a "sure thing". She was married twice, first to Howard Blim, then to Reed Glidden. She lived at 36 Lake Avenue in Blasdell NY when my mother was born and until shortly after Howard passed some 6 years later.

She was known to have 2 siblings, Joseph and Josephine, both older than her. I have been able to locate some of Josephs information. He died in Yuma Arizona in 1981 and was born in Buffalo NY in 1915. Nobody knows Josephine's married name, just that she moved to California.

My mothers baptism record and birth certificate list Irene's last name as Gawell, but Joseph's records have it as Gawel and my mother and her siblings all believe it was w/ only 1 "l". All of their baby books list Irene's parents as Mickal and Ann Gawel. I cannot find any information on Irene or her parents(my ultimate goal).

It's known that Irene and her siblings were put into an orphanage in the Buffalo NY area sometime after their mother died. According to my mother, she remembers he mother stating it was in Alden, NY. I cannot find any record of an orphanage in Alden, NY. The siblings never lost track of one another, so wherever they were placed they were together. It's believed that after placing the children Mickal moved to PA and remarried. Nobody ever heard of any other children.

I found a Mickal and Aniela Gawel in the 1920's census in the proper area, along w/ information on their separate arrivals through Ellis Island from Russia (it's believed to be that they came through Ellis Island from Russia- so this fits). However, none of the children listed as theirs fit.

I've tried our local online records and family search as well, where else can I try?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LeeK211 2 Jan 2012 11:49AM GMT 
daciodan 2 Jan 2012 1:45PM GMT 
dgawel120 3 Sep 2012 9:37PM GMT 
LeeK211 4 Sep 2012 4:16AM GMT 
dgawel120 4 Sep 2012 6:10PM GMT 
dg9189 5 Sep 2012 10:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic