Search for content in message boards

Newbie questions. Please help? Any input helpful.

Replies: 4

Re: Newbie questions. Please help? Any input helpful.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 9:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maley, O'Malley, Peck
Thank you.

I haven't done any off line research but have went through all marriage, birth, passenger lists, death certs and any list of every church or story I could find on Corning City NY and Painted Post NY and surrounding area. I have read everything online I could find for months now and there is nothing more to read (I think).

So that takes me to off line research. I have no idea how to do that but I am pretty sure I would not be able to make the actual trip there. That was the reason I was thinking about hiring a researcher. I didn't think it was as easy as contacting the library in the area or the county and asking for records.

I do understand about family myth and I really don't want a romatic story to lead my search. I really want the truth and that is why I am doing this. Just to see where I am from. This is my first family search though, my own, and I am not sure how to go about it.

I am determined though so I will now read everything I can about finding physical sources and paperwork. Find a list of cemetaries in NY in the area, courthouses, churches and go about it that way. Unless there is an easier way and I can just send these facts to some library to look up for me?

Thank you so much. I really enjoy this and can't imagine how happy I will be if I find an actual answer. I just need to get into hard digging mode I guess.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
laneraebeagle... 26 Oct 2012 5:34AM GMT 
daciodan 26 Oct 2012 3:00PM GMT 
laneraebeagle... 26 Oct 2012 3:37PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 11 Jan 2013 1:29AM GMT 
LHSwisher 11 Jan 2013 4:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic