Search for content in message boards

family data collection - marriages

Replies: 4

Re: family data collection - marriages

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Nov 2012 2:35PM GMT
Good job! you're answering your own questions and making progress.

The census data helps you pinpoint where to find the documentation, and you've arrived there.

Yes, you should get a copy of the birth certificate for Arthur Dahl (Scofield). This is a hard piece of evidence and *should* have the names of the parents. You want to confirm what you suspect with a document.

Yes, you should get a copy of the marriage record of Martin Dahl to Clara Gredvig. This document should have the names of the parents on it, and perhaps other identifying data, like their ages. I see there are a number of Martin Dahl's in Minnesota that could be candidates for your ancestor, and there is no way to decipher which one he is without more data.

I found Clara Gredvig ( b abt 1885, teacher) in the (2) 1910 Census, here on her own: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=...=

and here, with her parents: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex...
It may be she was enumerated with her parents, but not actually living with them. The informant to the census taker sometimes listed the entire family.

Location, location, location......Time line and locations of Clara Gerdvig

1905 Delavan, Faribault, Minnesota
1910 Onstad, Polk, Minnesota
1910 Mankato, Blue Earth, Minnesota (may have not been living here had the time)

Look on a map and note the proximity of Faribault and Blue Earth counties, and Polk and Clay counties.

We know where SHE was in April 1910 before her 1st marriage in July 1910. She and Martin obviously met somewhere before the marriage. The first place to look for Martin are the closest counties to where she was living in the 1910 Census. Another question is, why was she married in Clay County? Her family was living in Blue Earth county, in most cases a marriage occurs in the home territory of the bride. Her marriage didn't and that makes me suspect the courtship and marriage happened quickly.

I found many newspaper articles (genealogybank.com) on several Martin Dahl in Minnesota in the time period of 1900-1920. Sorting out which one is your is the trick to come.

I searched for a Martin Dahl in the 1910 Census, in (Minnesota) Clay and Polk counties. I found a couple of possibilities, but not having more data on him, like his (about) age, makes it difficult to assert which one he was.

You might want to post on the Clay County board and see if someone might have a look at the marriage document. Sometimes there are volunteers who frequent the court house and are happy to have a look and transcribe the data off it.

========================================================

I'm seeing some confusing data on the birth index on Minnesota Historical Society site.

Scofield, Willard John
Date of Birth: 17 Jan 1912
Mother Maiden Name: Gredvig
certid# 1912-05457
County of Birth: Clay

Dahl, Anthony Elroy
Date of Birth: 29 Apr 1914
Mother Maiden Name: Gredvig
certid# 1914-05958
County of Birth: Clay

Why is the elder brother's surname Scofield on his birth cert, while the younger is Dahl, not to mention the given name being Anthony Elroy? Do you have the death cert of Arthur Scofield that has the same birth date as this Anthony Elroy Dahl?

There may be possibility that Willard's BC was delayed and filed after her remarriage, but this is very odd.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jessica Scofi... 17 Nov 2012 3:27AM GMT 
daciodan 17 Nov 2012 8:44PM GMT 
Jessica Scofi... 18 Nov 2012 2:08AM GMT 
Jessica Scofi... 18 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT 
daciodan 18 Nov 2012 6:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions