Search for content in message boards

General help if you have time

Replies: 2

General help if you have time

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi

I am tracing my family tree and in particular an unknown grandparent at present. I am fairly new at this, and am stuck as to how I should proceed further without unnecessary expense.
I know his name, year of or birth (between two years), his fathers name, location and address he lived in around 1941, his army number, date he got married to my grandmother. and this is where I am struggling.
My first thought was to go through the Army records, no record of his death being recorded and have spoken at length with the MOD/Gov and they won't release anything without his death certificate, which I don't have or know when...or very unlikely if he is dead. he split from my Grandmother a year after they got married and had my father, and she never gave anyone any further information about him. My parents believed he paid maintenance for a period of time.
Without his mothers maiden name, any guesses as to his birth and family are really just that. He was born around 1917 so the 1911 census doesn't anything other than a few possibilities.
I think my best guess right now is his address in 1941 (tell me if I am wrong) as this was likely to be in his fathers / mothers name. The road still exists, but not all the houses, and not his house. Without any proof, I think I am really stuck. As I say I have some good guesses, but even paying for birth, marriage certificates is a waste of time until I know they could really be connected.

Thanks for any help you could find time with

Nick
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nicholasjboot... 23 Aug 2013 8:58AM GMT 
carobradford 23 Aug 2013 11:55AM GMT 
nicholasjboot... 23 Aug 2013 12:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions