Search for content in message boards

Help ? new to researching family history! Maiden Names ??

Replies: 3

Re: Help ? new to researching family history! Maiden Names ??

Posted: 22 Sep 2013 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Sep 2013 2:46AM GMT
Quick answer, unfortunately you have to buy Birth Certificates & sometimes marriage cert.

Starting with you, your [long form] B/C should [if he is named, sorry not being rude] show your fathers name & mothers name with formerly Smith, Jones, Bloggs etc [if they are married]. From this you can look for a match in marriages of your parents, the M/C cert will show the bride and groom their ages at time of marriage, plus each one's father [again assuming they are named or were known]. You now have another piece of the jigsaw towards your parents B/C, your fathers name off your B/C & his marriage cert plus his fathers name off his own M/C & the same with your mother. Now you can look for all the Tom Bloggs for a particular year in a particular area and hope there are not loads. Warning though sometimes we have to guess as to where a person was born but as with my own experience found much to my surprise that I am one of 4 we have lived my whole life in Stoke On Trent, I always thought we were all born here but was shocked to find my brother had been born in Plymouth. So its a B/C followed by a M/C followed by a B/C or two if you trace each branch of your family. Use your local Registrar if your lucky that people live local & or the General Registry Office at Southport for certificates other sites will cost a fortune. When you get back you will find the Census records of 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911 invaluable but they don't show mothers maiden names. Hope this has been of some use & good luck with your search
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kirsty Meadow... 21 Sep 2013 10:33PM GMT 
glasgow49 22 Sep 2013 4:12AM GMT 
Merice46 22 Sep 2013 5:45AM GMT 
mugwump1955 22 Sep 2013 8:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions