Search for content in message boards

Middle Names = Mother's Maiden Name

Replies: 3

Middle Names = Mother's Maiden Name

Posted: 29 Dec 2013 1:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently trying to decide if a marriage certificate I obtained from New York City does belong to my ancestors.

My ancestors names were: John Aiken and Mary Buick. Both were from Scotland.

Data that matches:

The names on the marriage certificate are John Aiken and Mary Bowick. I am assuming Bowick and Buick are interchangeable.

Both the people on the certificate are from Scotland.

The ages of both are close to the birth dates that I have researched for the two of them.

Data that does not match:

On Mary's death certificate, a relative only knew her father's name. He listed John Buick. However, on the marriage certificate James Bowick is listed as her father.

Theories that I am not sure hold any water and I would like your opinion on:

John Aiken's mother is listed as Agnes Lorimer on the marriage certificate -

My ancestor named his first daughter Agnes.
My ancestor gave one of his sons the middle name of Lorimer.

I bet many people named their daughters after their mothers. Was it common place for someone to give their child, their mothers maiden name as a middle name?

Unfortunately, neither were ever nationalized as citizens. John also passed away fairly young, so no military records.

My next step is trying to find John's signature on some document. I'm going to check the local parish records and land records. I think the land records are going to be rough, but I don't believe a lot of people lived in the village during the time period, so I hope that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
furyanfan 29 Dec 2013 8:21AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 29 Dec 2013 1:43PM GMT 
furyanfan 1 Jan 2014 8:57AM GMT 
Kat747 16 Feb 2014 10:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions