Search for content in message boards

Civil War photo returns to family

Replies: 0

Civil War photo returns to family

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 10:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Drake,Smith,Sanderson
An 1863 picture of a Civil War solider (in his uniform) with his wife finds its way back to his family.

Thanks to another genealogist on Ancestry.com, on Father’s Day (June 17, 2012) I received an email letting me know that there was a picture of someone on my family tree on Ebay. In the email was the URL for the picture so I followed the link and found a picture of Jotham Drake and his wife from Worthington,Ma taken in 1863 just before Jotham left to fight in the Civil War. He never returned. Jotham is wearing his uniform and on the back written in period ink is some biographical information on Jotham including “Co F 46th Mass Reg’t. Born
Jan 3rd, 1820 died in service in New Bern, N C June 1863 Age 43 years” The picture was taken by the Springfield Photographic Gallery Number 34 Goodrich Block. My husband became very excited because Jotham and his wife Julia Drake are his 3rd Great grandparents. Without a moments hesitation my husband clicked the “buy it now” button and completed the transaction. The picture started its journey home on Monday June 18, 2012 and arrived back into family hands on Wednesday June 20, 2012.My husband called the seller to see if he could get any more information on how he came to have the picture. After telling the seller about being the 3rd great grandson of Jotham Drake my husband found out the seller got the picture from another dealer/friend who got the picture from someone selling things at the Brimfield Flea Market Brimfield, Ma. The seller could not wait to call the other dealer/friend to tell him about the picture being returned to its family.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions