Search for content in message boards

Grandfather, Clayton Harper of Charlotte, North Carolina

Replies: 0

Grandfather, Clayton Harper of Charlotte, North Carolina

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 10:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harper, Clayton
Clayton C. Harper was born in Charlotte,North Carolina in approximately 1847. We were told that he had black hair worn in braids and was supposed to have been of Indian descent. He worked as a carpenter and helped build the town. We were told that he had at least two sisters. We have not been able to find him with his parents, in his youth. He married, built a houseboat,had my mother, Jessie,her twin Clydie, Mary, and Fred Harper. They traveled up and down the Mississippi River in the houseboat, then bought land in Weldon,Arkansas, where he died and is buried on their land, from clearing trees that fell on him and caused his death. We are trying to verify whether he was an Indian, what tribe, and information about his parents before him. We also have no photograph of him and would like to know if the town might have photographs and names listed, of the carpenter men that worked on the buildings there. If you have any known links for information that would help us, please respond. I am 83 years old and my last sibling just past away at the age of 92.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions