Search for content in message boards

SSN Application Request Denied! What next?

Replies: 4

SSN Application Request Denied! What next?

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am hoping for some insight/advice:

I recently wrote to the SSA to get a copy of a relative's application for SSN under FOIA. I was looking for names of his parents, which are unknown. This ancestor was orphaned at a young age and went into foster care. He never told his children the names of his parents, or the names of the foster family he lived with, so I was hoping for the names on the SSN application.

I got the copy from the SSA and sure enough, there were the spaces for the names. All obscured with white out so the names were illegible. I filed an appeal with the SSA and was told "sorry, but we can't divulge the names without knowing if they are dead or alive" which I can't find out without knowing the names! The worst part? THEY would know. They are the keepers of this information! So frustrating!

Does anyone know how to proceed from here? Where else can I look to find the parent's names? I would love suggestions/advice because I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now.

Thanks for any input you can offer!
Sharon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
slrva2007 25 Jun 2013 1:28AM GMT 
LHSwisher 26 Jun 2013 3:25AM GMT 
slrva2007 26 Jun 2013 4:12AM GMT 
deeflint01 28 Nov 2013 5:24PM GMT 
ldsw1 14 Dec 2013 9:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions