Search for content in message boards

Help: German North Dakota Newspaper Translation (Translator)

Replies: 28

Re: Help: German North Dakota Newspaper Translation (Translator)

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
The reference to Landau is his sending greetings. Much of the letter only deals with farm matters, but nevertheless here is the translation:

"Dear [or Esteemed] Herold: As I have now been reading the paper for so long, I thought that I would contribute a few lines. (As it should be. Let us hear from you from time to time. Many will read it with interest. Ed.) The weather is so pleasant – it's almost like spring-time. Yesterday, December 4, my two brothers were out hunting, when all of a sudden an "Erdhas" or Gopher scurried across the path [or: in front of them ?]. I had 14 swine, now five have been destroyed and nine were shot and killed, for which the government will pay me half of their value, which is better than nothing. Recently I purchased a swine that weighed 320 pounds, at 7 [cents] per pound. When I butchered the swine there was so much meat for sausages that I could not find enough intestine in the whole area to make all of the sausages. Whether you believe it is up to you [or: no one is forced to believe this].

"Greeting to my parents in Landau, S. R., as well as to my brother-in-law Raphael Bernhart, his wife and children. I will send you the Herold, which you should read diligently, and also let us here from you. Many greetings to my cousins Georg H., Joseph K., Georg F., Rudolph F. and all my half-brothers in Dickinson."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rj_fleck 16 Aug 2012 10:25PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 15 Dec 2012 3:19AM GMT 
rj_fleck 16 Dec 2012 4:49PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 17 Dec 2012 4:32AM GMT 
rj_fleck 17 Dec 2012 2:38PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 24 Dec 2012 10:04PM GMT 
rj_fleck 26 Dec 2012 2:26PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 30 Dec 2012 3:39PM GMT 
rj_fleck 30 Dec 2012 4:56PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 2 Jan 2013 10:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions