Search for content in message boards

How to find complete birth certificate in the 1880's in England?

Replies: 5

Re: How to find complete birth certificate in the 1880's in England?

Posted: 10 May 2012 4:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
wow thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty in answering my question. It sucks that thats all there is.

Its not a shock to hear that Henry was illegitimate. Its a well known family story that he didn't know who his father was. If you look at his 1891 census you will see he is living with his grand mother and who i know know to be his step grand father. They list him as a son, I'm assuming it was a way to save face. At the same time you see Sarah Ann living with her then boyfriend/fiancé James Rowley and their illegitimate son James (apparently Sarah was very friendly). James and Sarah marry a couple years later and James adopts his son and renames him James Horsfield Rowley Jr.

As far as Sarah Ann being illegitimate I'm not so sure. I have an 1871 census in Ashton Under Lyne showing a Sarah Ann being the daughter of a Maria and John Horsfield. Assuming its the same Maria and Sarah Ann it doesn't necessarily conflict with the marriage you found. I will have to research further to either confirm or deny the census. If you wish I can keep you posted.

Once again thank you for all the help. :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
horsfield2001 6 May 2012 9:58PM GMT 
BelleRinger 8 May 2012 4:51PM GMT 
horsfield2001 10 May 2012 10:02PM GMT 
BelleRinger 11 May 2012 9:47AM GMT 
Orlando_Littl... 13 Sep 2012 8:54PM GMT 
horsfield2001 13 Sep 2012 10:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic