Search for content in message boards

Death registration in Poona India in 1865 also registered in UK?

Replies: 7

Re: Death registration in Poona India in 1865 also registered in UK?

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a feeling that 1965 is a typo?! It is not clear if you have had contact with either the India Office Library, which has a Family History section or the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) but both of those are very helpful with anything to do with India - which can be a real tangle. The great British Empire has left a nightmare for family researchers. Many people do not realise that if one was born in India as 2nd generation one never had British citizenship - I met an Australian once who had been born in India, family left in 1947 when she was a child, and it was only when she applied for an Australian passport she discovered that she was Indian, not British because both her father and grandfather had been born in India. The same goes for Kenya. I have a friend whose son was born in Kenya as was his father and grandfather. When he wanted a British passport, which his father had, he discovered he was actually Kenyan and the oddest case was someone who wanted to join the army in WW2 - only to discover he was a "foreigner", i.e. Irish. His father had been in the British Army stationed in Ireland before it became Eire, c. 1921, and this had resulted in him being Irish not British. I suppose it makes life interesting but certainly confusing for those who do not know a bit about the history. Anyway, I wish you luck with your further searching.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
justmumgreene 28 Apr 2013 5:34AM GMT 
barbdale_1 28 Apr 2013 11:07PM GMT 
halpark 29 Apr 2013 10:10AM GMT 
BelleRinger 29 Apr 2013 11:16AM GMT 
halpark 30 Apr 2013 6:34AM GMT 
justmumgreene 30 Apr 2013 7:16AM GMT 
BelleRinger 30 Apr 2013 10:04AM GMT 
halpark 30 Apr 2013 10:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions