Search for content in message boards

Not birth father on Marriage Certificate

Replies: 3

Not birth father on Marriage Certificate

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a marriage certificate for a family member from 1845 and the father listed on the bride's certificate is not her birth father and I'm trying to work out the relation to her.

Her name was Ellen (Eleanor Patchet) and I know her parents were John & Eleanor Patchet. On Ellen's marraige certificate her father is listed as William Branson. Through census research I have found a bit about William and know that he lived in the same area as the family. I can't find any death records for John & Eleanor, nor can I find any time when Ellen was living with William (although of course she could well have been prior to 1841).

I'm sure many others have come across similiar information. I'm curious to know what others have found out and what some of the likely scenerios might be (estranged for parents, fostered, etc.). If her parents had died wouldn't she have had to put John down as 'deceased' on the certificate?

Look forward to hearing any advice!

Richard

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
r_prest1 1 Oct 2013 6:59AM GMT 
carobradford 1 Oct 2013 8:19AM GMT 
r_prest1 1 Oct 2013 8:59AM GMT 
jonwarrn 9 Oct 2013 10:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions