Search for content in message boards

Descended from Royalty.......

Replies: 1

Descended from Royalty.......

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have two branches of my family that have nearly identical stories about being descended from royalty. The story goes like this: The daughter of the Earl or other member of nobility fell in love with a commoner, they married against the family's wishes, and she was disinherited as a result. The couple ended up emigrating to the US to escape the noteriety. To me, both stories sound fishy - the "disinherited" story conveniently explains why the woman has no money from or contact with her "royal" family, and the fact that they emigrated to the US would have made the story nearly impossible to cross-check in those days (early 19th century). I guess I'm skeptical partly because I have debunked at least one other family story from yet another branch concerning a prominent memorial that one of my ancestors claimed to have constructed.

One of my distant relatives did research the "royalty" story from his branch of the family, and concluded that she (my g-g-g-grandmother) could not have been descended from who she said she was, but may have been related to other royalty, but can't be confirmed

Anybody else have this type of story handed down through the generations? Maybe some day when we are all in a huge DNA database, all these questions will be easily answered, but not today!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
fritz1255 1 Dec 2012 2:24PM GMT 
photo66666 4 Dec 2012 11:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions