Joseph Putnam

Replies: 29

Joseph Putnam

Jennifer Van Alstyne (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2003 10:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 7:13AM GMT
Surnames: Putnam, Porter, Parris, Williams, Corwin
I am trying to see if I can find any supporting documentation that the Putnams and Porters could be found at opposite ends of events/issues in Salem before & during the witch trails. I came across a book that stated that one man named Thomas Putnam Sr. died and left everything to the 2nd wife Mary Veren Putnam & their one son Joseph. The book continued to state that the children from the first marriage were bitter toward the 2nd wife and their step brother who recieved all of their fathers estate. The eldest son felt that it was rightfully his.

The story continues to state that the stepbrother Joseph married Elizabeth Porter a family with just about as much if not more money than the Putnams.

The Putnams were said to belong to the church of Samuel Parris (father and Uncle to Betty Parris, and Abigail Williams who are said to have started the whole thing)

Some say it was more like "The What's in it for me" period vs. a Witch hunt. The sheriff George Corwin got $ for auctioning off the accused's property, the elder Putnams seek revenge.

Please send me your thoughts and leads. I have found some info on the Putnam family but no evidence on the Porter side.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Van Alstyne 9 Sep 2003 4:14AM GMT 
Frank Omar 11 Sep 2003 4:22PM GMT 
militarymomma 7 Oct 2003 1:52AM GMT 
walter t. crean 8 Oct 2003 2:53PM GMT 
DarleneBladel 6 May 2004 4:53AM GMT 
walter crean 20 Oct 2004 1:26AM GMT 
Darlene 20 Oct 2004 3:51PM GMT 
walter crean 20 Oct 2004 7:29PM GMT 
sabatnow 20 Sep 2008 3:44AM GMT 
creanaugusta 20 Sep 2008 12:39PM GMT 
per page