Search for content in message boards

Thomas Hardy

Replies: 11

Re: Thomas Hardy

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 5:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am pleased to see that others are interested in the life of Thomas Hardy, and I hope we can share our information to find more answers about him. I may be incorrect, as you say, but my assertions do not come out of thin air. About nine or ten years ago I spent more than a year researching the life of Joseph Ring and the motley crew of characters that passed through his brief and unhappy life. Thomas Hardy was one of those folks. My notes from that research are long since packed away, and as I write this I am referring to no more than memory, but here is what I recall. I began looking for Thomas Hardy among the Bradford family of Hardys whom you describe. At first I was sure that was our man. But then I began to find other references to a Thomas Hardy, who seemed to be quite different from what I would expect of the Bradford Hardys. This man lived mostly along the coast of Maine and was often in some kind of trouble or disrepute. There was also, as I recall, some conflict of age or date that convinced me we were dealing with two distinct men with the same name. Sorry that I cannot be more detailed here but, as I said, this is all from memory already many years along. I am aware of the Hardy family you reference and for some reason convincing to me at the time (although I don't at the moment hold it in my memory), I rejected that theory in favor of the hard-drinking socially marginalized Hardy of the Maine frontier. That latter description, by the way, fits closely the type of life lived by, and the type of people who often surrounded, Joseph Ring. My information came from primary source documents such as the "York Deeds", documentary historical collections from Maine and NH, and very early genealogical work such as can be found in the Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and NH, old town histories from Maine, NH and Massachusetts, and so on. I would be very pleased to hear more from you, your sources, and why you are sure that "your" Thomas Hardy is the same man who figures in the narrative of Joseph Ring and the witch trials. It may be more convenient to continue this exchange off the rootsweb page. If so, feel free to contact me at franzm@flash.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ldahling 1 Feb 2005 8:35PM GMT 
TheresaHargus... 29 Sep 2005 5:42PM GMT 
Franz Martin 28 Nov 2005 3:16AM GMT 
40987957 12 Apr 2013 7:32AM GMT 
eGENEee 12 Apr 2013 5:37PM GMT 
40987957 12 Apr 2013 11:17PM GMT 
Carole Heath 1 Sep 2013 8:58AM GMT 
fmartin748 2 Sep 2013 3:35AM GMT 
fmartin748 13 Apr 2013 11:28PM GMT 
ldahling 15 Apr 2013 5:44AM GMT 
per page