Ann Foster

Replies: 22

Re: Ann Foster

A. J. Piper (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2005 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Dec 2005 6:48AM GMT
Surnames: Foster, Austin, Ballard, Lacey, Stone
I have two relatives from two seperate family lines that were involved in the trials one accused (Ann Foster 12th Generation Great Grandmother) one who testified (Hopestill Austin 11th Generation Great Grandmother involved in a different portion of the trials).
I retrieved info on Ann from Foster Gen. Book located in Andover, MA Library and Haverhill, MA Gen. Library (Best in New England for Gen. research) As well as going to Salem and looking up info on the trial transcrips at the Peabody Essex Museum Phillips Library.
Ann Foster was born1620 died December 3rd 1692 in prison (Salem Village which I was told is actually closer to Danvers MA) Accused of and confessed to witchcraft soon after she was arrested her daughter and grandaughter were also arrested. Though her daughter eventually said her mother was involved in the witchcraft Ann refused to state that her daughter was involved in any witchcraft.
There is additional suspition surrounding the individual implicating Ann because she was elderly and the family involved in the impication it was suggested that he wanted her land. The individual whom made the complaint on July 14 against Ann (Joseph Ballard) had in 1689 been granted 20 acres of land with his brother John near Roger's Brook to set up a Saw-mill, fulling-mill, and grist mill.
Ann Fosters husband was Andrew Foster Born 1579 in England Died 1685 in Andover MA at age an amazing 106 years of age. He owned plots of land in the Extreme Southerly Corner of Andover MA. He was made Freeman 1669. One of the first Settlers Andover MA 1640. Fosters Pond in Andover MA was named after him. Member Scotch Charitable Association (became Saint Andrews Society) He married Ann Foster 1639 in England.
Ann's son Abraham lived in the north end as did her daughter Mary with her husband Lawrence Lacey and their children --eldest Mary Lacey (Jr)
In 1710 Abraham Foster petitioned for and recieved in 1711/12 reimbursement for fees charged for his mother and sister in regards to their imprisonment.
Ann's other son Andrew Foster Jr. (my great grandfather) was born 1640 Died May 1697 was made freeman 1690 he lived near Abbott Village Hill. He married Mary Russ June 7, 1690 in Andover MA. Andrew Foster Jr. with his wife resided with his mother Ann Foster he inherited the property from his mother.
An item that is said to possibly have helped to set the stage for Ann's eventual arrest is that in 1689 Ann's daughter Hannah aged approx. 41 had been slain by her husband Hugh Stone during a drunken rage. For the crime Stone was Hanged.
I just saw this posting, I hope this information helps.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdarnall1 15 Mar 2005 12:43AM GMT 
Frank Omar 16 Mar 2005 1:41PM GMT 
jdarnall1 16 Mar 2005 5:02PM GMT 
Cathy Clark 5 Jun 2005 7:12PM GMT 
A. J. Piper 7 Dec 2005 4:23AM GMT 
jdarnall1 7 Dec 2005 5:11PM GMT 
K Fatooh 10 Apr 2006 1:59AM GMT 
Kerry 19 Jul 2006 9:44PM GMT 
Neveragain100 22 Jan 2009 11:23PM GMT 
johnhopkinsde... 13 Apr 2010 12:56PM GMT 
per page