Looking for reliable info on Mary Barnes, the "witch" who was executed in Hartford in 1663 or thereabouts.
There is a lot of conflicting info out there.
1. Her maiden name -- was she a Brockett? Some say yes, but I have not found confirmation.
2. Which Thomas Barnes did she marry? It seems like there are two Thomases who are variously cited as her husband.
3. When was she executed? Was it 25 Jan 1663? Are we even certain she was executed?
4. Who is the Mary that was Thomas' second wife -- Andrews? Andrus?
5. How soon after the execution did Thomas remarry?
6. Who is Maybee Barnes? Is is the son of Thomas Barnes, and if so, of which Mary?
7. I have seen Maybee's birth listed as June 1663, which could mean he was born about 6 months after Mary the witch was executed. If so, was this a motive for Thomas to get rid of the first Mary? ... Was the second Mary already pregnant? ... Or was Maybee the son of a different Thomas Barnes? ... I have also seen Maybee's birth date as 25 Jan 1663, which is also oddly a common date given for Mary's execution.
Thanks for any reliable info.