Search for content in message boards

John Porter - Mary Esty - my tree has both

Replies: 0

John Porter - Mary Esty - my tree has both

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 6:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jul 2013 6:47AM GMT
On my father's side, I am descendent of John Dodge Porter (1658-1753) who testified with his wife, Lydia Herrick (1661-1737) against Goodie Bibber in defense of Sarah Wildes.
On my mother's side I am descendent of Mary Esty.

There is also a connection to someone in the judiciary who prosecuted claims of witchcraft and imprisoned those with false claims...will have to look him up.

Found on Ancestry.com:
"According to Porter's Genealogy (1878) on John Porter (1658-1753)(page 236), he and his wife testified during the famed witch trials: "In 1692, during the witchcraft delusion, he and his wife Lydia were witnesses at court, and testified against one Goodie Bibber, who accused Sarah Wildes of bewitching her, 'and that said Bibber was an unruly, turbulent woman, would have strange fits when crossed, was double tounged, very idle in her calling, mischief making, very much given to speaking bad words against her husband, obscene in her language, and could fall into fits when she pleased, etc.'"

Despite the Porters' testimony, Sarah Wildes was convicted by the Essex County Court and hanged July 19, 1692.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions