Search for content in message boards

shipwreck 1892 or 1893 going from Fla to Isthmus of Panama

Replies: 0

shipwreck 1892 or 1893 going from Fla to Isthmus of Panama

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2012 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hall and Roberts, Tedder and Van Alstyne
My ggrandfather, John Wesley Hall, was lost at sea in a storm. Family lore has it that he was a captain of a barge or tugboat, or even a schooner, going from the west coast of Fla (somewhere near Clearwater) to the Isthmus of Panama with a cargo of lumber. I need ANY info on his parents and siblings. I also need any information on the shipwreck. And was there documentation of the shipwreck? How did his wife know she was legally able to remarry? I believe he was born in Indian Key, Florida or one of the Fla. Keys called Indian Key. Family records show he was born in Key West. His wife was pregnant with my grandfather when the shipwreck occurred. She was Ella Blanche Roberts (born 1871 in Key West, FL, died 1949 in Clearwater, FL). She remarried in 1900 a man named Joseph Tedder. After he died (in 1927), she married a man named Albert Roy Van Alstyne in 1937. The Roberts family is huge - from the Bahamas and Fla. Keys to the Fla. mainland. Surely someone has some info about John Wesley Hall. His son was named John Samuel Hall. John Wesley Hall was born 16 Sept 1859 and married Ella 26 Nov 1892 in Clearwater, Florida, which at that time was considered Hillsborough County. It is now Pinellas County. I found a copy of their marriage license and certificate at Hillsborough County (Florida) Marriage Records Collection.
I am at a dead end here, but have "guessed" at his parents and siblings and added them to my tree as if they are his. I may be totally wrong. Thank you for ANY information.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic