Search for content in message boards

Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Replies: 10

Re: Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 8:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Oct 2013 8:17AM GMT
I wrote citation detail when I meant citation text. You're correct about that being used to indicate the page. Sometimes I reply too quickly and don't pay close enough attention to what I'm doing. Sorry for being confusing.

If I had something that said "Mindora, Wisc" for the location of some fact, say a burial as you have, then here are two different ways that you could go about it.

Method one: Using an interpreted place name two preferred vs. alternate

Burial Fact: Preferred
Fact date: (left blank)
Fact place: Place: Mindoro, Farmington Town, LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, USA
Fact description: (left blank)
Fact notes: Explain why you interpret "Mindora, Wisc." from another source as "Mindoro", unincorporated community in the Town of Farmington. Refer to alternate fact and citation.

Burial Fact: Alternate
Fact date: (left blank)
Fact place: "Mindora, Wisc" (don't put more of your interpretations in here, or why create the alternate fact in the first place?)
Fact description: (left blank)
Fact notes: Place name as listed in Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book. See citation notes for more information.
Source: Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book
Citation detail: page whatever
Citation text: "Mindora, Wisc" (this is missing other key information obviously that I don't know)
Citation notes: I interpret "Mindora, Wisc" to be the unincorporated community of "Mindoro" in the Town of Farmington, LaCrosse county, Wisconsin because (1) yada yada (2) yada yada (3) yada yada.

Method two: Using an interpreted place name in a single fact

Fact type: burial
Date: (left blank)
Place: Mindoro, Farmington Town, LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, USA
Description (left blank)
Source: Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book
Citation detail: page whatever
Citation text: "Mindora, Wisc" (this is missing other key information obviously that I don't know)
Citation notes: I interpret "Mindora, Wisc" to be the unincorporated community of "Mindoro" in the Town of Farmington, LaCrosse county, Wisconsin because (1) yada yada (2) yada yada (3) yada yada.

Summary:

There's really no ideal way to do this in FTM. It's not geared for capturing information verbatim at a fact-level and using multiple facts (based on different sources) to develop a composite preferred fact, so you basically have to do that with your fact and citation notes.

Hopefully this was a bit clearer and helpful.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulp575 15 Oct 2013 2:29AM GMT 
silverfox3280 15 Oct 2013 2:37PM GMT 
paulp575 16 Oct 2013 7:41PM GMT 
silverfox3280 16 Oct 2013 8:11PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 17 Oct 2013 4:15AM GMT 
paulp575 27 Oct 2013 8:28PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 28 Oct 2013 9:25PM GMT 
paulp575 29 Oct 2013 3:40AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 29 Oct 2013 2:16PM GMT 
kj_norway 29 Oct 2013 3:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions