Search for content in message boards

Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Replies: 10

Re: Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Still not sure I'm fully understanding what Marco Scavo is saying (citation details?), so here's what I've done:

The Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book has the following entry 9 times: Mindora, Wisc

Originally when I entered the information in FTM 2012, I entered it as Mindoro, La Crosse County, Wisconsin and marked it as a Preferred Fact and cited the Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book as the source.

On the right side of the screen, I filled in the following fields:

Date: (left blank)
Place: Mindoro, La Crosse County, Wisconsin
Description: (left blank)

Below that I have the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book"
I originally marked that entry as the Preferred fact.

I now know that is incorrect (I changed the spelling to confirm to what the name of that location should be), so I made another entry as follows:

Date: (left blank)
Place: Mindora, La Crosse County, Wisconsin
Description: (left blank)

Below that I also have the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book"

I then changed all 9 entries so Mindora is now the preferred fact with the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book".

I also have another Burial fact that shows Mindoro as an alternate. Temporarily the fact with Mindoro is showing the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book", but will change that to something else as soon as I can figure out what source I should use.

I want to keep both facts, but have Mindoro as the preferred and Mindora as the alternate with the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book" so anyone will know how the original source spelled it.

As for "Citation Detail", I'm using that to indicate which chart and page number the fact came from since the book has around 50 pages.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulp575 15 Oct 2013 2:29AM GMT 
silverfox3280 15 Oct 2013 2:37PM GMT 
paulp575 16 Oct 2013 7:41PM GMT 
silverfox3280 16 Oct 2013 8:11PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 17 Oct 2013 4:15AM GMT 
paulp575 27 Oct 2013 8:28PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 28 Oct 2013 9:25PM GMT 
paulp575 29 Oct 2013 3:40AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 29 Oct 2013 2:16PM GMT 
kj_norway 29 Oct 2013 3:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions