Let us suppose this

1- I don’t want to buy a Mac
2- I want to upgrade to a new 64 bit, windows 8.1 PC
3- Assume I can buy a PC with 1TB of solid state drive
4- Assume I can buy a PC with 1TB of additional memory
5- Assume I buy a PC with fastest processors available on the market
6- Assume I buy a hard disk with 1TB storage capacity
7- Assume the only program I want to run on this PC is FTM 2014
8- Assume I have no images loaded on the PC and I won’t be linking to anything on the PC except what is included/entered into the FTM 2014 data base
9-Assume I won’t be linking to any images/documents or anything on the internet

Now I am quite sure the program will load faster than it does on my XP 32 bit machine

I am also sure the program once loaded will run faster than it did when I ran it on my XP 32 bit machine

But here is my question/comment/statement

Since I have 1TB of solid state disk it appears to me that it won’t be swapping out to either the 1TB of additional memory, nor will it be swapping out to the 1TB of Hard disk*. Hence, it will be running as fast as it can on the processors I purchased. [* it won’t be swapping out because it has no need to since it won’t be using all the capacity of the solid state drive (Note this is an assumption on my part)]

So, if the above is true I should be buying the largest solid state disk I can buy to limit/stop the PC from swapping out to the additional memory or even worse swapping out to the rotating disk.

And if I can’t buy a large enough solid state drive I should be buying as much additional memory as I can so it doesn’t swap out to the moving disk

And if I can’t buy a large enough solid state drive and it has to swap out to the additional memory then the processing speed will DECREASE once it has to start swapping to the additional memory [And even worse if it has to start swapping to the rotating disk the speed will further DECREASE]

The question is: Is everything I say in the question/comment/statement true?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KATHYMARIEANN 17 Oct 2013 12:36PM GMT 
johndd189 18 Oct 2013 12:51AM GMT 
jamclo 18 Oct 2013 2:08AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 18 Oct 2013 9:57PM GMT 
jamclo 18 Oct 2013 10:00PM GMT 
johndd189 19 Oct 2013 2:42AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Oct 2013 7:57AM GMT 
johndd189 19 Oct 2013 8:51AM GMT 
Marco Scavo 19 Oct 2013 2:44PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Oct 2013 4:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions