Search for content in message boards

FTM Listing of All Fields

Replies: 17

Re: FTM Listing of All Fields

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
kj_norway comment

“What may I ask is the value of having all of the fields names that you can enter data into from the program?”

I thought you would never ask

I’ll give a small example where it would be useful [as always useful is in the eye of the beholder – and in this example I am the beholder]

At the present time the “variables” you can enter into a Custom Report consists of only those variables which are known as “facts”. You can see this by clicking on the little green arrow that is one of the so-called custom report options. If you click on this you will see a list of fact names such as birth, marriage, death etc

I would like to, for example, enhance this report by adding other variables such as Source Title, Repository, etc but I can’t do it because the system won’t let me

But suppose I talk the developers into enhancing the custom report to add two variables from the “Category” called “Source” – one variable is called “Source Title” and the other variable is called “Repository”

Suppose I can also talk the developers into enhancing the format of the report to allow me to add columns kind of like Microsoft Excel

With these two enhancements let me then create a Custom Report that has 4 columns

1st column = Person Name [an existing variable called a fact]
2nd column = Birth Date [an existing variable called a fact]
3rd column = Source Title [a new variable]
4th column = Repository [a new variable

Now let me go to the so called filter

In the individuals to include let me use the “selected individuals/individuals to include” option

When I do this it takes me to a list of people with say John Jones in the list and I click on John Jones and then click on ancestors and then click on ok

When I click on ok the report starts generating and when it is done I have a list of all the ancestors of John Jones and the columns will show the data as described above

In other words I have created a report of all the ancestors of John Jones and the report shows the names of each ancestor, and their birth date and the title of the source from which that birth date was extracted and the repository of where that source/image/record resides

You can’t generate a report today like the one I described You can’t even export part of what you are now able to generate to a spread sheet and finalize the spread sheet by hand that will look like the one I described [Try It—you might be able to get close but closey's don’t count and keep track of the time you spent trying to do it]

So imagine I had a list of all the input variables/fields and the Custom report was enhanced to let me include some [or all] those variables in the custom report and let me format the report to an Excel concept and let me add more items [algorithms] to the filter

If this were done then I am sure almost every user would find at least one combination that they would like to generate a report for

And think of it, you probably wouldn’t have to try to jury rig spread sheets in an attempt to get reports that you would like

BUT THE KEY THING IS THAT ALL USERS WOULD BE ABLE TO GET THOSE REPORTS THAT THEY WANT—WHICH YOU CAN’T DO TODAY [[[you only get the reports that the developers want or think you might want]]] AND THE DEVELOPERS WOULD BE ABLE TO STOP DOING THINGS SUCH AS ADDING ANOTHER COLUMN TO THE MARRIAGE REPORT
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
johndd189 29 Oct 2013 4:04AM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 29 Oct 2013 7:16AM GMT 
kj_norway 29 Oct 2013 12:54PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 29 Oct 2013 4:10PM GMT 
MBandor 28 Oct 2013 8:27PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 28 Oct 2013 8:44PM GMT 
David Abernat... 28 Oct 2013 5:04PM GMT 
docjavadude 28 Oct 2013 5:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic