Search for content in message boards

Daughters ex-partner being shown as married and as my son-in-law

Replies: 8

Re: Daughters ex-partner being shown as married and as my son-in-law

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grandmother had a child before she married my great-grandfather. I have defined the relationship between her and the child’s father as Friends. Most charts and reports show the relationship as Friends. The labels of fields in FTM have the word Spouse while the field has the correct relationship, Friends.

I created a Relationship Chart and looked at the Relationship Calculator. Both the chart and the calculator said they were husband or wife, not friends. The relationship between the man involved and my great-grandmother’s father was son-in-law or father-in-law. If they were not married there is no legally recognized relationship between the parents of one party in the relationship and his/her friend or partner. This relationship should have been Father of Friend or No Relationship.

FTM is not the only program or website with this problem. All of them need updating to correctly show relationships as they are today.

While looking at this I looked at the relationships involving a divorced couple. Both the Relationship Chart and the Relationship Calculator said they were still husband and wife. The relationship of the man to the woman’s father was still son-in-law or father-in-law.

Curt
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
davecl35 2 Nov 2013 6:02PM GMT 
David Abernat... 2 Nov 2013 6:25PM GMT 
silverfox3280 2 Nov 2013 9:38PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 2 Nov 2013 9:49PM GMT 
silverfox3280 2 Nov 2013 11:17PM GMT 
David Abernat... 3 Nov 2013 1:00AM GMT 
davecl35 3 Nov 2013 6:42AM GMT 
curmil 3 Nov 2013 2:29PM GMT 
davecl35 4 Nov 2013 8:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions