Search for content in message boards

Problem with merging files

Replies: 3

Problem with merging files

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was hoping (and bought FTM instead of sticking with Reunion for Mac) that I could merge my Ancestry family tree into my new FTM program and therefore benefit from all the searches and saving of sources that I did in Ancestry. Then, ideally, I would have one master file with both the Reunion family tree and the one from Ancestry. It sort of worked - I went through a long process of resolving locations and merging individuals and then merging and deleting other extras and duplicates. This ended up as somewhat of a disaster as it resulted in lost connections and unhooked people with no children in one place or children in other places. I am trying to fix but think I might just start again with the solution to go through each person/source in Ancestry file and add manually to my old Reunion file and then bring in the whole thing clean to FTM. This will be much, much work, but at least I would have some confidence that it is correct.

BTW, is FTM completely dependent on the web or is there a way to make it freestanding? If the first, that is a bad feature for people like me that don't always have good internet service and also like to control the entire environment of the files. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
modonnell05 16 Nov 2013 1:25AM GMT 
silverfox3280 16 Nov 2013 4:11AM GMT 
barbarajfn 16 Nov 2013 5:45PM GMT 
modonnell05 16 Nov 2013 9:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic