Search for content in message boards

Importing Lists of Historic Events and Fact Fields: FTM 2012-2014

Replies: 0

Importing Lists of Historic Events and Fact Fields: FTM 2012-2014

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 8:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
In general, the default list of historic events under Edit.Manage Historic Events is global and, in most cases, very broad. To understand WHY something happened for a particular family, we need to add historic events that are directly relevant to the family; eg, epidemics, the opening of particular regions, such as the Western Reserve, Statehood dates, town founding dates etc. The management capability under the above edit gives us the capability to do that, but 1 entry at a time. This is very tedious for a family tree that spans 400 years or more. Furthermore, since such trees can get very large and burdened with lots of references and documents, I trim the family tree branches to make other trees.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to import a list of historic dates, either via GEDCOM or XML? (If not a publicly supported way, then is there a programmatic way to do it by adding a Plugin? BTW, where is the Plugin API?)
2. Can I create a "template tree" that contains the historic events, the default facts view on the Family page, including all modifications to the defaults, etc? Then,
2a. Can I merge this tree with an existing tree to update the tree to include these data?
2b. Can I start each new tree by using the template tree and renaming it?

If you have any other techniques that make this work, please let me know.

Find a board about a specific topic