Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2012 corrupted place database

Replies: 5

Re: Family Tree Maker 2012 corrupted place database

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 8:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is one of several problems with the places databases and some people recommend not bothering to resolve places at all. However, I find it useful to do research by location, especially with families that have been there over many generations, so I resolve them as far as I can.

In the case you are describing, sometimes, but not always, it works to delete the GPS/LatLong numbers and resolve again. You will get a message that says you had specified a specific point (even though you probably didn't) and if you continue the location will change to the database default. Go ahead and do that.

There are a number of other frustrations in the place database - do a search here in this forum to find long discussions about them. As place is one of the genealogy trinity - name, place, date - I don't know why it hasn't been addressed more thoroughly by a genealogy software company. As far as I know, FTM is as good as any other. Most software is name/person-centric. Clooz is event/date centric. Haven't found one that's place/location centric but I have hope! :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tweedlw 1 Jan 2014 1:46PM GMT 
lbragg 1 Jan 2014 3:35PM GMT 
Tweedlw 8 Jan 2014 4:42PM GMT 
keithnuttle 9 Jan 2014 2:27PM GMT 
Tweedlw 9 Jan 2014 10:22PM GMT 
lbragg 9 Jan 2014 2:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions