Search for content in message boards

Duplicate Spouses and "Orphans" A Possible Fix

Replies: 1

Duplicate Spouses and "Orphans" A Possible Fix

Posted: 4 Jan 2014 9:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've had a problem with duplicate spouses on my tree for some time. I have spent a long time "detaching" these manually and as a consequence also came across a syndrome which I refer to as "Phantom Orphans". These orphans appear completely alone, but when you refer to the online tree for the same person, you will find their parentage. You then have to go back to your FTM tree, detach their parents (which miraculously appear in the "Detatch" dialogue" and having done that attach the parents again. (In the attach dialogue you will find a number of options of different families to attach to....one of these shows the name of the person as both mother and father.....probably the source of the problem....ensure you pick the correct one) Anyway
having read the following thread on the topic of duplicate spouses
http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/1022...
I copied the link to a facebook post, which initiated a response from Ancestry within 30 minutes!
To cut a long story short, I contacted their help desk where I laid all my woes at the feet of a very helpful agent. He downloaded my file saw the issue but could not resolve it for me. He did however make some suggestions, one of which APPEARS to Resolve the matter.

Download the online tree back into Family Treemaker as a new file (Here is how in link below)
http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4545/...
Don't forget to un-tick the box for linking to an on line tree. As far as I can see, all duplicate spouses have vanished.

This is a possible solution to getting out of a mess. It does NOT explain how the Mess originates
Ancestry might like to get back to us on this.....but then again they probably won't as They don't acknowledge that there is an issue in the first place!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tim Geary 4 Jan 2014 4:06PM GMT 
Marco Scavo 5 Jan 2014 7:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic