Search for content in message boards

Changes Made to Source Citations and Source Repositories Do Not Synchronize with FTM2014

Replies: 0

Changes Made to Source Citations and Source Repositories Do Not Synchronize with FTM2014

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 8:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
*** This is not a request for support, but instead a USER BEWARE message for those who may not know about synchronization problems with FTM2014 build 260 ***

In my own work, I recently noticed that changes made to Source Citations and Source Repositories in FTM2014 do not synchronize up to Ancestry with the most recent build of FTM2014, build 260, and this more than 2 years after synchronization was introduced into the product.

Situation: I created my Source Citations and the corresponding Source Repositories on Ancestry and synchronized them down to FTM2014. Because FTM2014 has a number of bells and whistles intended to simplify managing Sources and Repositories, I decided to try them out. I made changes to the Source Repository Name and synchronized the change back up to Ancestry. The synchronization recognized the changes in the dialog window and the synchronization completed normally (without error). I went to Ancestry to check on my change and noted that no change had actually occurred! I repeated the process again, changing the Source Citation Name and synchronizing. Same result. I changed the Source Citation Author and synchronized. Same result.

I attached one side-by-side screenshot to illustrate the problem, at least the problem that the tip of the iceberg may represent. In reality, this simple problem creates a much larger one in that my two data sets are now different, but the flags in FTM2014 that tell the program what data item is the most recent in each tree now think that the two datasets are perfectly synchronized. I can't upload a new tree for reasons discussed in a separate thread. If I download a new tree, it overwrites my most recent changes in FTM2014 as well as deletes my short place name database.

One of the biggest weaknesses of Ancestry (and communities like Ancestry), is that they are largely an enormous pool of almost completely un-sourced data. You cannot trust the data you see, because you don't know if someone copied it from another tree that was changed after they copied it, or if they simply estimated or or otherwise created the information you read. Source citations are supposed to give credibility to the data. But, if now the Source Citations don't synchronize properly, they are just further contributing to the large pool of un-sourced data by adding poorly-sourced data to the mix.

I never heard any sign of recognition of the problem after reporting them, in the standard pretentious and arrogant manner that they treat any suggestion of a problem or a bug on their end.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions