Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 Will no longer open .ftm file - no error message though!

Replies: 6

FTM2012 Will no longer open .ftm file - no error message though!

Posted: 30 Mar 2014 10:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all,

I have found posts from others who have run into this problem, but no resolution was ever posted that I could find.

I was attaching a .jpg to a citation, and when I went into the media details my FTM2012 program shut down. I opened it again & got the usual message that there was an error & I should compact my file. Well, now it won't open my file at all - each time I try, it flashes & goes right back to the workspace screen. No error message at all.

I've tried opening it through the file menu in FTM2012, in the "Trees" box in the upper right of the workspace screen, and tried to start a new tree by importing it. I also tried opening it right from Windows explorer. Same result - flashes, then I'm at the workspace screen with no acknowledgement by the program that it even tried to open a file.

I've also confirmed in Windows Task Manager that ftm.exe is running when I have FTM2012 open & there's only on instance of it on the processes tab.

FTM2012 will open two other trees with no problem, and I was able to start a new tree from scratch by entering data. When I tried to merge my main file into the "new tree", I received an error message pop-up with the following error codes:

Error code: 109 Index file format error
Error code: 120 Index opening error: HistoryList_ID_IDX

I haven't been able to find help for either code online anywhere.

The tree is synched to Ancestry & is current as of yesterday just before I added a few records. My last full .ftmb is from the end of last month. Is my best bet to restore from that backup, synch with Ancestry & let changes on Ancestry catch it back up to date? (Will it even do that? I know I would at least need to add anything I did yesterday just prior to this issue popping up.)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Linda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LBlaskovich 30 Mar 2014 4:54PM GMT 
silverfox3280 30 Mar 2014 7:26PM GMT 
LBlaskovich 30 Mar 2014 7:57PM GMT 
Robert Hallam 10 Apr 2014 1:11AM GMT 
LBlaskovich 10 Apr 2014 1:50AM GMT 
Robert Hallam 10 Apr 2014 2:14AM GMT 
LBlaskovich 17 Apr 2014 2:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic