Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 - Attach/Detach problem

Replies: 0

FTM 2014 - Attach/Detach problem

Posted: 3 May 2014 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yesterday I had a problem using Attach/Detach with FTM 2014 and would like to know if others see what I saw.

First, do not try this with a good file. You may run in to the problems I had. Use a test file where it doesn’t matter what happens.

I had a man Timothy with two wives, Rachel and Susannah. Each wife had three children.

Timothy and Rachel
Elizabeth
Mary
Sarah

Timothy and Susannah

Ann
John
Hannah

I found a record that seemed to indicate Ann was Rachel’s daughter so I used detach and attach to get her in the right relationship. I than found another record that stated Timothy and Susannah were married before Ann was born so I moved her back. At this point weird things started to happen. When I went to the Tree View of the parents Ann was listed as one of their children. When I went to the Tree View of Ann she did not have any parents listed. When investigating this I discovered something that I think is wrong. When Ann was detached from her parents I went to her Person View and clicked the Relationship tab. Ann did not have any parental relationship but she did have sibling relationship with John and Hannah. It seems to me that when you detach a person from their parents FTM should also remove any sibling relationship that person had with other children of those parents.

The only way I could find to fix the problem was to delete Ann and reenter her. Since the only things I had on Ann was her name, birth date, and two sources this was easy to do. If Ann had married, had children, and had numerous source citations this would have gotten very complicated.

Curt

Find a board about a specific topic