Search for content in message boards

Place Name Resolution :: Feature Suggestion

Replies: 2

Place Name Resolution :: Feature Suggestion

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 11:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM 2014 / Win 8

When resolving places, A+ to the new "Place Detail" feature. It works great for things like "Lanyon, Webster, Iowa, USA" where FTM doesn't recognize Lanyon (don't know why not, but whatever). Move Lanyon to "Place Detail" and the name become "Webster, Iowa, USA" and fits in the hierarchy of the reverse sort feature and everything works beautifully. Couldn't be happier. I can resolve a lot of place names with this. If you haven't tried it, it works well.

However, this doesn't work great for places like Coldemanz/Trieglaff/Rensin, Greifenberg, Pommern, Prussia, where the modern hierarchy has completely changed. Today, those places are Kołomąć/Trzygłów/Rzęsin respectively, but it would be inaccurate to when my family lived there to say they lived in Kolomac, Zachodniopomorskie, Poland or Trzyglow or Rzesin. They didn't. They were German, not Polish. But everything's different today from what it was in the 19th century.

If I enter Coldemanz, Greifenberg, Pommern, Prussia in the Place detail and Kolomac, Zachodniopomorskie, Poland in the Place name, it doesn't work well (you get "Coldemanz, Greifenberg, Pommern, Prussia, Kolomac, Zachodniopomorskie, Poland" and that's just confusing). What I really need is a way to enter a historic place name in its fullness for print, but to have FTM recognize it by its modern name. That way the place gets sorted and I can see what's nearby, it shows up on the map, but in reports it'll show up as Coldemanz, Greifenberg, Pommern, Prussia or Coldemanz, Greifenberg, Pommern, Prussia (modern Kolomac, Zachodniopomorskie, Poland). That's what I'm really looking for.

I'm sure people who have records of family living in the USSR would want the same thing. Or people who have family in Virginia that's now West Virginia. A way to be clear that they were born in Virginia at the time even though the modern location is West Virginia. Otherwise it gets confusing when looking for records.

Great feature to add to FTM 2015 and really make this program better.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rasamassen 19 Jun 2014 5:01PM GMT 
rasamassen 19 Jun 2014 5:57PM GMT 
silverfox3280 19 Jun 2014 9:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic