Search for content in message boards

FTM12 -> FTM14: Why?

Replies: 23

Re: Sorting Children

Posted: 18 Aug 2014 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Aug 2014 11:30PM GMT
"Census records, birth records, and most death records are "matched" with birth dates, for a start"

True, but they can also be matched on other criteria. Nor are you required to enter a date of birth when you search; it merely helps you narrow the results. If I get one William Smith in Missouri, and another in Oregon, or one born in 1784, and another in 1901, it's usually pretty easy to pick the more interesting one out of the list. And if I do wish to enter an estimated DOB, I can do that at the time I do my search; I don't really need to put it in my database.

"As for the rest, I've heard all of the arguments from folks who don't estimate their birth dates and they don't wash with me."

Well, I'm not trying to convince you of anything; I'm only explaining my own predilections. How you do your research, and what you put in your database is, of course, your own decision entirely. But I didn't say I don't estimate birth dates, only that I don't enter them as facts in my database because they're not facts, and I prefer to keep my facts and conclusions separate.

So yes, I understand what you're saying. It just doesn't fit my style.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
silverfox3280 19 Aug 2014 3:33AM GMT 
calvinculver 19 Aug 2014 5:29AM GMT 
curmil 18 Aug 2014 10:59AM GMT 
calvinculver 18 Aug 2014 11:23AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic