Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker file won't open

Replies: 12

Re: Family Tree Maker file won't open

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
My corrupted file was from a 1999 version of Family Tree Maker made before Ancestry bought the program from Broderbund. I phoned FTM and the technician had me send him the file. He was able to open it in FTM 2010, so I bought the program and did the same thing.

Many of the names got corrupted, but that was because I was using FTM in a way for which it was not designed. During the conversion, 2010 didn't know how to handle it. However, all of the notes and sources were there. I have since manually changed the names back to my unusual format.

When FTM closes, it automatically makes a backup of the current file. It does so by overwriting the previous backup. Unfortunately, if your file becomes corrupted, the backup you get that day contains the corruption. You are then in deep trouble. The only prevention of the problem that I know of is to make frequent manual backups with a different name.

Family Tree Maker now allows you to upload a corrupted file to their site and then try certain things that sometimes work to fix the problem. There are instructions on the following webpage.

http://gen.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5146/

If the link is not allowed in this message, phone Ancestry and talk to the FTM department. After explaining the problem, see if you can get help uploading the file. At the very least, someone should be able to send you a link to the instructions in an email.

If your efforts fail, phone and ask if they know someone who worked in the software end of the company who might be able to help privately for a fee. Some people leave the company and set up their own service. I think my problem locating someone was that none had worked for Broderbund. You have a much better chance of getting someone to fix your file since your version is 2010.

Good luck. Cliff

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
miguel_labreg... 30 Apr 2013 9:56PM GMT 
miguel_labreg... 6 May 2013 10:57PM GMT 
Cliff Lamere 27 Apr 2013 3:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions