Search for content in message boards

Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Replies: 64

Re: Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
jdyrly

It is amazing just how much information there is in Public Member Trees relating to living people. It may simply be a name coming up as a spouse in the search result who when you look at the detail reverts to being suppressed, be mentioned in a marriage fact, obituary or other attachment. On the other hand there are often living people who have been dead for a long long time.

I am afraid that some of what appears in Public Member Trees is absolute rubbish. There can be genuine errors, typos and the like, but what can excuse the attaching of a census image for someone at say age 5 whose name is Freda Smith when that is her married name and and she was born Freda Jones. What is worse blind copying proliferates this.

For me one of the newest problems in Public Member Trees is what I have nicknamed "continental drift". If you search in PM Trees for my one-name-study name of Werrett you will find a number of instances of the following place.
"Glos, Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France"
These events actually took place in Gloucestershire, England. Elsewhere you will find under one of my family names events in Montacute,Somerset, England taking place in Somerset, Maine.

I don't publish my database not even putting it on Ancestry as a private one. The word gets around that I have a large amount of Werrett data and I make contact with people who ask questions on the net. I use a large number of sources apart from Ancestry, both free and paid for. I regulary literally Google and from time to time will use other search engines as a supplementary check.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
snathaidmhor 10 May 2010 10:15PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 10 May 2010 11:50PM GMT 
pcejones 6 Sep 2010 5:01PM GMT 
jdyrly 7 Dec 2010 5:31AM GMT 
pcejones 7 Dec 2010 7:23AM GMT 
jdyrly 8 Dec 2010 8:34PM GMT 
jdyrly 9 Dec 2010 7:00PM GMT 
tony_knight 7 Dec 2010 8:08AM GMT 
jdyrly 7 Dec 2010 10:36PM GMT 
tony_knight 8 Dec 2010 11:57AM GMT 
per page