Search for content in message boards

Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Replies: 29

Re: The Family Tree Program by Broderbund NOT the ancestry Family Tree.

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Donna,

You can turn off the ancestry hints [not sure where in 2010 - I'm still using 2008], so that should help.

One thing to consider: try just getting a one month subscription to ancestry.com and find the records you need, then 'unsubscribe' or do not renew. Ancestry.com does not have very many vital records online anyway, so you still have to send away for certificates, wills, probate records, etc.

I used to do this every year - just get a 1 months subscription to view the records available in the past year. I could usually find anything and everything related to my family within that time. The rest of the year as old fashioned research that can't be done online. There is still much that is not online.

This past year, I did get a year subscription [with the small money left me by an aunt] - I'm using this subscription to trace our family she was interested in. They happen to be overseas, so the money has been well worth it, as there is quite a bit online to get me started [where as before, I had NO luck with offline research on this family].

Like someone else mentioned, there are many other programs out there. Most have trial periods so you can try them before you decide to commit to a purchase. Others have 'free' versions that you can try. Those will have less features, but also gives you a good idea of the user interface of the program before you buy.

I was very unhappy when I upgraded to 2008, but such is life. I sent my suggestions to the company and that's all I can do - no use stressing over something I can't control.

I, myself, am still trying to decide on which program [I've tried 3 of them so far] I'll use.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
howdypez 1 Sep 2010 9:08PM GMT 
Donna Forsman 1 Sep 2010 10:00PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 2 Sep 2010 4:39AM GMT 
howdypez 2 Sep 2010 2:27PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 1 Sep 2010 9:36PM GMT 
Donna Forsman 1 Sep 2010 10:02PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 2 Sep 2010 4:36AM GMT 
Lee_Maynus 3 Sep 2010 3:59AM GMT 
minorc83 19 Mar 2013 3:47PM GMT 
minorc83 19 Mar 2013 3:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions