Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 Corrupted Relationship Links

Replies: 11

FTM 2011 Corrupted Relationship Links

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
After using the FamilySearch PAF5 program, for many many years without hitch I recently decided to get Family Tree Maker 2011 and it arrived a few days ago.

I copied, and renamed, my PAF file (used by PAF5 and with 7675 individuals in it) and imported it into FTM 2011. As it is a 'new toy' I have spent every free minute either sticking pins in maps to tell it where the unknown places were or tidying up the 'facts'.

I noticed something peculiar, the other day, when editing an individual's information. They suddenly appeared to be a child in a family with a completely different surname and, infact, were not a child of that family at all. I thought it was a one off and, being new to the software, might have been due to me doing something wrong.

Imagine how nauseous I feel, today, after discovering another two such corruptions. This is in a file of thousands of individuals. How many more will there be? The program is removing people from their own siblings and parents and placing them in families where sometimes the parents were born hundreds of years earlier! And without asking me or notifying me of anything...

Is this something I did wrong at the import stage? Is it a glitch for which a patch might be released? Is it something that has been noticed by other people?

I tell you what... I am so glad that I've kept PAF5 and it's PAF file. I hope somebody will be able to tell me why this corruption has occurred. The thing is, when you have such a huge database it's impossible to keep track of problems like this. Rather - we trust the software not to do something so fundamentally stupid without asking us first.

It might be something to do with the Windows 7 64bit OS?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pam_Rispin 23 Oct 2010 10:25AM GMT 
tony_knight 23 Oct 2010 11:23AM GMT 
Pam_Rispin 23 Oct 2010 1:49PM GMT 
tony_knight 23 Oct 2010 2:17PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 24 Oct 2010 10:04PM GMT 
Pam_Rispin 26 Oct 2010 1:23PM GMT 
Pam_Rispin 26 Oct 2010 1:46PM GMT 
tony_knight 26 Oct 2010 3:35PM GMT 
tony_knight 27 Oct 2010 8:42AM GMT 
tony_knight 27 Oct 2010 10:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions