Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 - Split tree into two lineages

Replies: 31

FTM 2011 - Split tree into two lineages

Posted: 27 Dec 2010 8:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
My tree (2234 persons) is comprised of maternal and paternal lines that need to split into two trees, each retaining appropriate media. The "master" file is backed-up to maintain its integrity until success is confirmed and I have two separate trees (maternal and paternal) with media. The FTM Official Guide and ancestry.com online HELP point towards two methods, but neither are "perfect" (challenges detailed below) - so am seeking help and guidance on most efficient, effective, an accurate way to this.
NOTE: Below recaps using "master" to create a paternal tree excluding maternal lineage; understand process would be repeated to achieve the second tree (maternal, excluding paternal lineage), at which time the "master" would be decommissioned.
OPTION 1) EXPORT [Followed online "How to partially export or split a file in FTM 2008-2011"]. File/Export from "master" into a new file, Selected Individuals, accept default checks, Selected FATHER and included Parents, Spouses, Ancestor Descendents and get listing of 1707 that unfortunately includes maternal cousins and grandparents. If I don't select Ancestor Descendants, I get 269 persons - excluding many paternal descendants. Am unable to select/filter to get just what I need.
OPTION 2) DELETE GROUP [Followed book "Deleting a Group of Individuals"]. Exported entire file into a new file; in PUBLISH, selected HOURGLASS chart for mother's sole sibling; deleted all her ancestors and descendants, expectation was retaining paternal line with my father+mother descendants intact. When reviewing list of individuals. Found maternal line cousins remained. Of course, all maternal media also retained and expected next step would be manual deletion of all non-applicable media.
WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO SEE? A chart where I can right-mouse click on an person and select "create new tree with media" for all ancestors and their descendants - yet allows exclusion of the other parent's family (ancestors and descendants). Visual makes it easier to see if the right persons are included/excluded since one doesn't remember all the names in each lineage. HELP - there has got to be a more accurate (and hopefully easier) way to do this!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hgirdley 27 Dec 2010 3:34PM GMT 
curmil 27 Dec 2010 4:05PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 27 Dec 2010 4:17PM GMT 
hgirdley 28 Dec 2010 3:39PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 29 Dec 2010 3:06PM GMT 
hgirdley 29 Dec 2010 4:18PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 29 Dec 2010 4:57PM GMT 
hgirdley 29 Dec 2010 5:31PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 29 Dec 2010 5:53PM GMT 
Paul Reeves 25 Jul 2011 6:56PM GMT 
per page