Search for content in message boards

FTM crashes with Web Search Resources

Replies: 31

FTM crashes with Web Search Resources

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 8:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is a problem now for about two days.
I am running FTM Version 16 with Vista (SP2).
When I click on the "Web Search Resources" button, that search page comes up, but no search takes place. I don't see the icon with the little houses at the top; I just see the moving magnifying glass. The blue indicator bar doesn't work. It freezes after moving only a few millimeters across the line. At this point, although the magnifying glass continues to move, nothing works. "Cancel" shows it is being clicked on, but does nothing. The back arrow and the X to close the program or window are dead.
I have waited as long as four hours, but the only way to do anything with FTM is to close it with the task manager. That gives a warning message, but so far I haven't noticeably lost any data.
I have tried the %temp%\FTW suggestion to no avail. I used to have a similar problem (not searching, but not freezing), and I found I could solve it by running Piriform CCleaner, which was probably doing the same as the %temp%\FTW method. CCleaner doesn't help now, either.
I tried reinstalling FTM, but that didn't help. I have the same trouble with several FTM files and numerous individuals in the trees.
I moved to Internet Explorer 9 when it came out, but the FTM search function has worked since then.
I have a fast DSL connection. My Ancestry.com subscription works fine with IE9, and it shows I am signed in. Of course, I have restarted the computer.
Did I forget anything? I guess it is clear that I've already searched for an answer.
The only possibly related matter is that I have to run FTM as administrator, but that isn't new.
I have been using the "Web Search Resources" function successfully and with pleasure and would hate to have to give it up.
Grateful for help,
Walter Turner
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WalterVTurner 26 Mar 2011 2:30PM GMT 
campfamwy 27 Mar 2011 12:41AM GMT 
bakerchj 27 Mar 2011 12:58AM GMT 
campfamwy 27 Mar 2011 1:23AM GMT 
WalterVTurner 27 Mar 2011 8:44AM GMT 
johnmcgrew1 27 Mar 2011 4:10PM GMT 
NOffield1941 28 Mar 2011 4:52AM GMT 
BelleFleur7 27 Mar 2011 1:58PM GMT 
TOM GRIFFIN 28 Mar 2011 7:10PM GMT 
ma783 28 Mar 2011 8:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions