Search for content in message boards

Number of People in FTM 2011 vs Personal Identification Number

Replies: 29

Number of People in FTM 2011 vs Personal Identification Number

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 8:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Number of People in FTM 2011 Data Base versus the Personal Identification (Per ID) Number shown in the far right panel of the “People View” Window

My FTM 2011 Index (left side panel of “People View Window) shows that I have 57009 People in my Data Base. This value is corroborated by the “Plan View” which specifically shows 57,009 people

The Personal Identification (Per ID) Number shown in the far right panel of the “People View” Window shows a person Named “X” and shows his Personal Identification as "57501." The box showing this number is grayed out (indicating that I have told the system to automatically generate the Personal Identification Numbers.) This person is also the LAST person I entered in my data base.

It is my understanding that FTM generates Personal ID Numbers in the exact order that people were entered in the data base unless the user has overrode the number and entered their own number [and when the user does this the personal ID number shows up on the right hand pane with a white background]

I have never overrode ANY number generated by the system, but I do have may numbers with both white and gray backgrounds

I assume the white background numbers are a result of previous versions of Family Tree Maker----In my case I have been at this since 2001 and have had many different versions of Family Tree Maker ---- but have always used Family Tree Maker

To jump to the bottom line, the system appears in one case to be saying I have 57,009 people in my data base and in the second case saying I have 57501 people.

I have attempted to run out a custom report that shows all the people in my data base along with their Personal Identification Numbers, but the report never runs to fruition, but in some cases I am able to see that the Personal ID number is in sequence and seems to be ordered in the same order as I originally entered the person.

So, does anybody know what is going on? And why are the numbers not the same?

Could it come from merging two people with different ID numbers and the system is saving [hiding] one and using it as an “alternate” number for the person?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Sep 2011 2:23PM GMT 
tulrose 19 Sep 2011 3:34PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 19 Sep 2011 5:19PM GMT 
petermackenzi... 7 Dec 2011 3:06PM GMT 
KATHYMARIEANN 7 Dec 2011 3:29PM GMT 
petermackenzi... 7 Dec 2011 4:37PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 7 Dec 2011 5:04PM GMT 
petermackenzi... 7 Dec 2011 6:37PM GMT 
Russ Worthing... 7 Dec 2011 8:43PM GMT 
petermackenzi... 7 Dec 2011 9:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions