Search for content in message boards

Newbie question - deleting branches

Replies: 16

Here is an Example

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Apr 2012 5:32PM GMT
Since I have failed to demonstrate to you that the Extended Family Chart does exactly what you are asking for, I've made up a little example to see if I can explain it better.

I have setup a file that has eighteen people in it. A wife with parents > 3 people in her tree. And a husband with a whole bunch of different relatives > 15 in his tree.

1) I have disconnected the husband and the wife.
2) I have selected the husband as the base person
3) I go to Publish > Charts > Ext Family Chart
4) I uncheck "Include All Individuals" in right panel.
5) I change no of generations to 99.
5) I get a report that shows me these people that I had entered in the file:

Now, look at the report attached below. It shows the up and down blood relatives of Fred Taylor - An Ahnentafel, if you will.

Then, it shows another spouse of a great grandmother of Fred (Joe Smith), along with that spouses' parents, their child together, plus his child (Tami Smith) with another spouse - Jodie Royal.

Joe Smith, his parents, his other wife - Jodie Royal, and Tami Smith are not related to Fred Taylor by blood, but by marriage.

The Extended Family Chart should pick every person who is related to Fred by either BLOOD or MARRIAGE. I have not found an instance where FTM failed to do this; but there's always a possibility that there is some relationship that FTM can't handle - I've just not seen it.

This chart contains 17 people. The spouse's chart contains 3 people. The total of the file before doing anything is a total of 20 people. If You count boxes in this chart, you will find it has 22 boxes, because Mary Tomlinson and Joe Smith in twice - that is why there are dotted lines around their boxes with numbers in brackets next to their names.

There are three separate trees in this chart. They are: blood relatives of 1) Fred Taylor, 2) Mary Tomlinson, and 3) Joe Smith.

You can see that with a large file, this gets into the thousands of separate trees within the chart and can take a lot of memory.

I hope I have explained this well enough this time.

How large was your file and how long did it take to get the report finished?

This chart shows the HUSBAND'S SIDE. You either

1) right click export everone in this chart, or
2) right click delete everyone in this chart, or
3) right click export, then right click delete, everyone in this chart, or

4) right click export everyone in this chart, then select the wife, run this report for her, and right click > export everyone in her Extended Family Chart.

Before you delete, be sure you have a copy of your complete file backed up some place.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
silverfox3280 29 Apr 2012 11:23PM GMT 
SwissFraser 30 Apr 2012 7:43AM GMT 
mikelevoi 18 Jan 2014 5:14AM GMT 
vsgreaves 17 Jun 2013 3:12PM GMT 
cewyattjr 16 Jan 2014 1:56PM GMT 
silverfox3280 16 Jan 2014 4:12PM GMT 
MacLellanG 29 Nov 2012 3:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions